Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Wakeup Call


Someone just called my cell to give me a quick reminder that telephone fraud is alive and well. Around 8 o'clock on a Tuesday evening, a scratchy sounding robot (automated call) informed me that due to a large purchase, my MasterCard is locked. "To unlock your card please press one." As I grinned I thought, why, why can't they call me in person so I can have some fun! Holding that thought, I hung up. This phone scam is pretty old and maybe your bank warned you about it in the past. Well, it is still around. It comes in several flavors as automated calls and text messages. They all lead with "your account has been locked." Then it follows with instructions to "unlock." If you proceed, you are asked to divulge your card account numbers and pins. Financial institutions are always reminding us that they never request account information during an unsolicited call or email. Please make sure that all of your family members and friends, juniors and seniors are aware of these scams. If you become a target, don't press 1, just hang up. Don't click it, delete it.

So, to whomever it was that called-- thanks for the reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Thank you.